A. The most famous conversion. Told 3 times in Acts.
B. What does God want us to learn from it?
2. The Setting (Background):
B. Zealous Jewish Pharisee (Phs.3:4,5)
C. In charge at Stephen`s stoning (Ac.7:58,59; 22:20)
D. Persecuting Christians (Ac.8:1-3; 22:4,5; 26:9-11)
3. His Progression:
A. From adversary of Christ (Ac.9:1,2)
B. Preaching boldly in name of Jesus (9:27)
4. His Conversion:
A. A personal visit from Jesus (9:3-5; 22:14)
1. Jesus told him he was:
a. persecuting the wrong guy.
b. chosen to be a servant of Christ.
c. being sent to the Gentiles
d. be delivered from enemies.
e. to go into Damascus.
f. to wait to be told what he must do.
g. to see Christ again.
1. Believes (9:5)
2. Confesses (9:6)
3. Fasts (9:9)
4. Prays (9:11)
5. Sees a vision from God (9:12)
6. Receives a miracle from God (9:18)
7. Had an inspired man preach to him (9:17; 22:12-16)
C. What Ananias tells him:
1. He has been chosen by God (22:14)
2. To be a witness of Christ (22:15)
3. He must arise and be baptized & wash away his sins calling on the name of the Lord. (22:16)
D. Wash away his sins?????
1. Chief of sinners (1 Timothy 1:15)
a. And list on board
2. still must wash away sins. (22:16)
a. Jesus came to save us from our sins (Mt.1:21)
b. Because our sins separate us from God (Isa.59:2)
5. He Was Told To Be Baptized And Wash Away His Sins, Calling On The Name Of The Lord.
A. Romans 10:13
1. Prophesied (Joel 2:28-32)
2. Fulfilled (Acts 2:16-21)
B. HOW do we call on the name of the Lord?
1. Not through list on board:
C. Told HOW in two places:
1. Acts 2:21, 37, 38 (sinners prayer? or repent & baptized?)
2. Acts 22:16 (Sinners prayer or baptism?)
3. Revelation 3:20
a. Rev.3:14 to luke warm Christians, not sinners.
b. Rev.3:19 repentance
4. Sinners prayer never taught in the Bible!
A. Saul obeyed, what about you?
B. Have you been deceived? Sinners prayer?
C. The blood of Christ saves (Eph.1:7).
D. Baptism is an act of faith in operation of God (Col.2:12,13)
Arise & be baptized and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.