A. Mother s really are amazing. They pull off miracles all in the name of Love.
B. Truthfully, no-one is more influential than a mother.
1. No political regime, etc.
a. George Washington: All that I am I owe to my mother
C. God designed women to be wives and mothers, and despite 40 years of teaching to the contrary, women who devote themselves to their careers and working still have a nagging sense that they ought to be devoting themselves to their homes.
D. We will look at mothers from two-perspectives:
1. Those of us who are not mothers children of mothers.
2. Those here who are mothers.
2. The honor due a Mother:
A. Honor your Mother and Father
1. Rich Young Ruler: Honor (Greek) = to Prize
a. Cannot be done by self, must be done by others.
2. Exodus 20:12 - Honor (Hebrews) = Heavy weighed down with riches.
a. Honor comes with great responsibility
B. Lev.19:3 Let everyone of you revere his mother and father Respect (Hebrew) = guard, protect.
1. As you do things that are valuable, (ie. Photos scrap booking, acid free paper; lock car; safe-deposit box, put special things in special places)
2. David did for His mother: 1 Sam.22:1-4
a. Being hotly pursued by Saul, took time to take mother 123 miles (246 round trip walking) to King of Moab.
3. Respect and protect her health don t push her to the point of a breakdown. You Serve Her, instead of the other way around!
C. Deut.27:16 Cursed is anyone who despises his mother or father and the people say amen.
1. Despises (Hebrew) = to take lightly.
a. Not a aggressive and hostile I hate you attitude (although included)
b. To take for granted, to ignore, have a roll your eyes, whatever attitude.
c. Bible says whoever does this is cursed.
2. This is where the feminist movement went wrong. Motherhood treated lightly and actually turned hostile toward it.
3. dismissed full time mothering as slavish and damaging. How sad when scripture says to honor, respect, and esteem them.
D. Not just today but everyday.
3. But it is equally important, if you are a mother that you be an honorable mother!
1. All mothers do some things that are not honorable; some make a career of it.
a. We ought not honor, respect, or esteem those attitudes
b. The Bible is really clear about this:
2. Jacob s mother taught him to be a con man; conniving and deceitful.
3. Jezebel encouraged her son (Ahaziah) in wickedness -2 Chron.22:3
4. Herodias had daughter ask for John the Baptists head
5. All mothers are not honorable, and the scars can last a lifetime.
6. So how can a mother be honorable?
B. Mothers are to be a preserver of life.
1. God designed them to be this, Eve, the mother of all living.
a. That s why the horror of an Andrea Yates shocks us so.
2. Israel was in Egypt, law to kill newborns, Moses mother protected him.
a. The tragedy of abortion
3. Solomon & two feuding moms. The real mom shows true desire to preserve the life of the baby.
4. You have the privilege of being a part of the miracle of life in conception and birth.
C. Mothers are to cultivate faith in the hearts of your children
1. 2 Tim.1:5, Timothy s faith which was first in his mother and grandmother
2. Hannah raised Samuel for 3 years then took him to Eli
a. His sons turned out evil difference? They didn t have the attention of Hannah the first 3 years of their lives.
b. You cannot leave your children s faith to chance.
3. Foolish to raise them neutral and let them choose for themselves
a. You don t let them eat anything they want do you? Health is at stake
b. Play anywhere they want? Watch anything they want?
c. Why would you play spiritual Russian roulette with you kids?
d. So many think being a great mom is being home-room mom and taxi service, making memories, etc.
e. Do you neglect the spiritual life of your children?
4. Live a life before them that reflects the reality of God in your life.
5. Poem: When you thought I wasn t looking:
D. Mothers Need to Give Good Advice
1. Kids need good advice don t they? Especially teenagers!
a. The mother of King Lemuel s advice to her son:
1) Tells him of: wild women & substance abuse, king defend the defenseless, be gracious & non-judgmental to the little people, and 19 verses describing what an honorable wife would look like.
2) Did you know that was a mother s advice to her son?
3) Some times they will listen better than at other times
b. Kid s the advice should be listened to:
1) Prov.1:8 says do not forsake the law of your mother
2) Prov.23:22 do not despise your mother when she is old
3) One discouraged mother wrote:
3. Mom s make sure you tell them!
a. If they walk away, you re not eaten up with guilt!
A. So the big picture is this: Mom s, show what it means to be honorable, by preserving life, cultivating faith, and giving godly advice.
B. As for our job, we honor, respect, and esteem them. Remember, they cannot give it to themselves, only you can give it to them.